14 November 2009

On turning 31

"I thank thee, Author of this opening day!
Thou whose bright sun now gilds yon orient skies!
Riches denied, thy boon was purer joys—
What wealth could never give nor take away!"
-Robert Burns, Sonnet on the Author's Birthday


So this is what it means to be 31,
there is no more marking of a coming of age
nor the drama of midlife, at least not yet.
Maybe this is what it means
to be settled.

So today I make a list of things
I should thank God for. Dear Lord,
I am grateful

for the meaningful work that absorbs me
though I feel I should be doing more

for dreaming dreams for the Church,
and seeing even just a few of them realized

for the cares of family, for being able to help,
for the first instance of giving back,
for being part in shaping a future not my own

for the support of family and friends,
for the great help that critics bring

for the witness of heroes and saints,
the living and the dead

for the friendship of brother-priests,
they are flawed and understanding, broken
and able ministers of God's mysteries,
and I am one of them

for the opportunities missed, for temptations
bowed down to, for the over-all act of growing

I thank you Lord.

Thanks too for those who greeted,
please grant them twice the share
of what they prayed for me.



9 November 2009
Bethlehem Pastoral & Human Resource Dev't Center
Sogod, Bacacay, Albay

No comments:

Post a Comment